Lunch and Learn at WeWork Vancouver - Burrard Station
Today, Startups @ McMillan gave a lunch and learn presentation to members of the Vancouver WeWork office. The presentation, “CEMs, CRTC and CASL – a plain English chat on how to stay compliant with CASL”, was – as you could guess – an information session and Q&A period about real-world compliance with Canada’s Anti-Spam legislation. In case you’re interested in learning more about this topic, check out our posts, and our top 5 tips (below) for CASL compliance!
Top Tips to stay CASL Compliant:
- Be honest and transparent in all communications.
- Before you send a message with a commercial purpose, have consent, disclose sender information, and provide an unsubscribe function.
- Train staff and contractors and audit them. Implement penalties and enforce the policies for failure to comply.
- Fines are hefty, so set company-wide policies carefully to be tailored to what you are actually doing to comply with CASL and what you’re doing to fix situations where you may fall out of compliance.
- Keep an up-to-date record of consents and of emails sent (or forms sent for any mass mailings). Try to keep mass mailings down. Recipients don’t appreciate filling their inbox without a value-add anyways.